Are You an All-Star?
We’re excited to announce our very first ArchLevel All-Star for 2012! The AL All-Star title will be given once every quarter for one male and one female player in the UK community. They will be nominated by their peers and selected by our staff. Performance both on, and off, the field will be weighed during selection as a true All-Star not only excels on the pitch, but commits themselves to give back to the game as well.
Tom Roche is not only a stand out player on the field, but an exceptional role model in his community. We are pleased to award him with the first ever AL All-Star title and expect great things from him in the future. Tom will receive a £100 gift certificate from ArchLevel Lacrosse towards any lacrosse vender in the UK, and, a brand new ArchLevel Lacrosse hoodie. Congrats Tom!
We asked Tom what his most memorable moments were in his career so far; he had a few on his mind:
– Playing on Mellor B team with my Dad (Then later playing on Mellor 1st team with my Dad when he was a coach and we were short on players. He scored 2 goals against a team with 2 of the current England defenders. He’s an attacker now but used to be a midi)
– Being captain of Loughborough University 2010-2011 (most successful season at the University to date)
– Founding the Loughborough University men’s 2nd team
– Placing in the top 3 for Loughborough sportsman of the year
– Playing on a Mellor team with Ben McAllister (still probably the best player in the country if you ask me!) Danny Hodgson, Dave Vickers and Alistair Wallace
– Playing in a flags final with 2 of my cousins on a team coached by my Dad!!
– Watching the Loughborough players I coached improve and playing on the same team as them
– Coaching alongside Ravi Sitlani and Malcolm Gosney from Stockport
– Beating Wales national team with South England Uni’s at the BNC’s
Tom’s Past Clubs and History:
– Played as a junior at Mellor
– Began playing for Stockport metros at 12 and continued until 15
– Played on Cheshire Under 16s when I was 14, 15 and 16
– Cheshire under 19s when I was 15, 16, 17, 18
– Cheshire Seniors
– England Academy captain summer 2011
– England Under 19s training squad (cut just before the world championships)
– Current England 40 Man-Roster
– Nottingham City 2009-2011
– South England Universities 2009-2011
Tom hasn’t just developed his game on UK soil…he’s been going across the pond too! When asked about his US trips, here’s how he recalls them:
– As a player I travelled to the states twice; playing against some people who I can still call very close friends
– As a coach I will have taken 2 lots of boys to the states after this summer, all under 15’s players, all great lads!
– As a coach I’ve hosted 3 lots of American teams
– As a player I’ve hosted 2 lots of American teams
“I know I’m not the best player in the country, but I like to think I give a lot back to the sport through coaching” said Tom Roche when we talked to him about his background. “I’m only 20 and I have coached every age of juniors at Mellor now, from under 10’s camps up to my current Under 19 team. I get a lot of stick off my mates for being a bit obsessed, but I love the sport and I want to make myself a better player! I remember when Alistair Wallace was in lacrosse talk magazine he got a bit of stick off the team, so I expect the same – but that’s part of what’s great about our small sport and small community, there’s always banter flying around about someone!” Well said Tom…well said. When asked about he plans to do next he said “In the future I want to go on to represent England, and maybe start a new lacrosse club somewhere!!!”
Do you know someone that that deserves to the next Featured Player title? Send us your nomination for next quarter and you just might see their name up here next!